At the end of fall semester 2013, the campus community decided on Canvas from Instructure as the system which will replace PROWL. We negotiated with Instructure, signed the contract in late February, and are now proceeding with implementation.
- Canvas will officially launch at CC at the beginning of fall semester 2014.
- If you are already using Canvas, please continue to do so
- PROWL will be available throughout the 2014-15 academic year.
- PROWL courses, including archived courses, will be migrated into Canvas (more information about this coming soon).
- Our contract includes 24x7x365 support. You will be able to call, chat, or email your question directly to Canvas support anytime, anywhere.
- We have created a new position to administer and support Canvas, and we are in the process of hiring.
- Melissa Haffeman is leading the Canvas implementation project.
- If you’d like to be an early adopter and switch to Canvas, we definitely encourage it. Please contact Weston Taylor to get started.
- Operations team – students, faculty, and staff who will steer much of the implementation such as how the grade book should be configured, the look and feel of Canvas, decisions around auto-creation of classes and auto-enrollment of students, etc.
- Mario Montano, Clara Lomas, Darrell Killian, Jim Parco, Phil Apodaca, Jan Schalk, Una Ng, Nicholas Lammers
- Implementation group – ITS: staff with a particular focus on Banner, Instructional Design, Training, and Frontline support; they will act in an advisory role to the operations team and work on integrating Canvas with our system.
- Sue Huntington, Weston Taylor, Janet Martino, LMS Administrator (new position we are currently filling)
We are very excited about Canvas, and we can’t wait to see all the creative and exciting things you do with it next academic year! We will send information about training, course migration, and other details as the implementation date approaches. Please feel free to contact any of the people mentioned above, and we will send pertinent updates as they become available.
Follow us on Twitter @ITSatCC (check out #CCITSCanvas), like us on Facebook, and/or just check our twitter feed on our home page. We are using Twitter and Facebook to report known outages / issues and give updates about them, as well as give updates on our major projects.